Thursday, January 21, 2010

Slow Production

I'm finding that the method for painting the Space Wolves is a bit tedious.

Right now its about 6 steps before doing the detail. In retrospect I probably should have used more regular Tactical Space Marines and less of the Space Wolf Pack bits because they're so detailed.
The steps are this:
1. Spray prime black
2. 2 coats of my Space Wolf gray mix
3. Wash with blue
4. Drybrush special SW gray
5. Go back and Chaos Black all the details
6. Details
7. Highlight
8. Paint unhelmeted heads separately and glue to armored bodies.
9. Transfers
10. Pull my hair out cuz there are so many Space Wolves on my painting table.
11. Try to figure an easier way... Or just go play Imperial Guard :)

So, that's my dilemma right now. I've got a small project that's part of the full army plan. I've got an Apocalypse battle in march and I'm painting Ragnar, 15 Blood Claws and a Land Raider Crusader to ally with my Salamanders force. These Blood Claws are really bugging me tho. I've gotten thru steps 1-4 for all of them tho and steps 10 and 11 sometimes too. I wish that I could find out Games Workshop's magic Spacw Wolf color mix. When I did my color sample I tried everything they said and none were close.

I have a blister with the head of Cadia's XIII sitting on my desk (Creed) and his vox casting toadie (Kell) yelling at me to open and clean them and paint them! Ack! I've also got Ragnar Blackmane primed and sneering at me with his out-of-proportion bolt pistol. If I give up on the the Old Wolf will be pissed and I don't want the fury of Russ' Wolves. We all know what happened to Prospero, right?

Blabberblabber over. I apologize for misspellings cuz I'm on my blackberry and I don't wanna proofread :)

For Russ and the Allfather, right?

3 comments:

  1. I feel your pain. The wolves do take longer to paint then regular marines with all their detail. But the completed product is very rewarding. If you have access to vallejo model color, take a look at 70943-grey blue. I think it is the perfect space wolf color.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I sat down and did some more work on the squad and it wasn't too bad. They're starting to look better, so maybe I was too doomy and gloomy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you basecoating with an airbrush? It saves a lot of time with marines since they have so much of one colour usually.

    ReplyDelete